.

.

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Blog Post #3

A. I choose the Grapes of Math by Greg Tang. I remember reading this book in grade school, and my teacher actually had a project for us to "write" another page in the book. I believe Tang uses great visual aid for young children. It provides kids another way of counting; especially when you can count in groups.

B. In the Grapes of Math, it teaches children the concept of symmetry. Within a single group, you can count as many different types of objects. For example, on the section of Win-Doze: counting windows instead of sheep, Tang teaches the reader to instead of counting the windows that has a light in it, to count the windows that have "zzzzzz" in them. It is much faster to count the dark windows verses the windows with light in them.


C. This is one of the greatest children's book because it teaches kids how to count in a different way. I believe children learn better if they have a visual aid in front of them instead of just having someone talk about the concept. Same goes in College, I learn so much more when I have a visual to look at verses just sitting there and trying to figure it our. 

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you, teaching basic math skills is much easier when having visual representations. It seems like a very interesting and helpful book, and definitely makes numbers less tedious and more fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it interesting how such a deep and potentially complex concept can be taught in such a simple way. I completely agree with you with the idea that children, and even adults, learn better when they have visual aid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. aj,

    nice book selection! this is one of my favorite math picture books. greg tang is one of my favorite children's authors. i like how you included an image from the book and explained the math using it. it definitely helps to understand the concept better. the only thing i would have added is showing how symmetry from the text and from our class are related. other than that, nice job!

    professor little

    ReplyDelete